Alaska Community Action on Toxics (ACAT) is a non-profit, statewide organization. We seek a full-time manager to direct operations that support all of ACAT’s endeavors. Each of ACAT’s staff members must be able to work independently as well as inter-dependently with other staff and board members to achieve ACAT’s mission: We believe everyone has a right to clean air, clean water, and toxic-free food. Driven by a core belief in environmental justice, ACAT empowers communities to eliminate exposure to toxics through collaborative research, shared science, education, organizing, and advocacy.
ACAT’s staff and governing board are ethnically and culturally diverse with varying lifestyles. You must be passionate about the work of ACAT and the diverse people who carry out the work. The staff members who thrive at ACAT are those who become devoted to our mission. ACAT gives you the opportunity and support to pursue your passion to help improve the world. You would become one of ten staff members in the Anchorage office and four Yupik community field workers who live on St. Lawrence Island.
Description of Position: Operations Manager
The Operations Manager (OM) works with the Executive Director (ED) to assure that the organization runs smoothly. The OM is the manager for federal and foundation grants that support ACAT. S/he is also responsible for human resources, finances, insurance, contracts, supplies, equipment, and other administrative functions. The OM interacts on a regular basis with outside vendors, payroll accountants, and insurance providers. The OM is supervised directly by the ED.
Required Qualifications for Operations Manager
- Bachelor’s degree (liberal arts, law, business, public administration, etc.)
- At least one year of paid work experience
- Microsoft Word and Excel, and Internet skills
- Financial management experience
- Driver’s license
- Good writing and communications skills
- Able to develop policies and explain policies cogently in a small group setting
- Well-honed interpersonal skills and experience working independently and with others
- Unflinching ability to appreciate and work well with a diverse team—including people from other ethnic groups, different gender identities and sexual preferences, persons of size, and a wide range of ages
- Possess at least two of the Desirable Qualifications for Operations Manager listed below
Desirable Qualifications for Operations Manager
- Master’s or doctorate college degree
- University certificate in non-profit management
- One-year experience working in non-profit management
- Grants management experience
- Four years or more supervisory experience in a paid position
- Experience with QuickBooks, payroll, and accounting procedures
Salary and Benefits
Annual Salary: $48,000-$55,000 depending on qualifications. This is a professional, exempt position. ACAT provides benefits, including:
- Medical and dental insurance for employee only; includes HSA with partial employer contribution
- 10 days/year each paid vacation and sick leave
- 14 paid holidays
- Flexible schedule, occasionally from home
- Mileage reimbursement
- Help with tuition for professional development courses directly related to the position and ACAT’s goals.
ACAT staff enjoys flexibility in scheduling our 40-hour work week.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity and Diversity
We encourage applications from Indigenous and persons of color with bilingual and bicultural experience. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
How to Apply
We welcome applications from all individuals who possess the required qualifications listed above. Please do not call or drop by the office. We would be glad for you to submit 1) a résumé, 2) a list of references with telephone contact information, and 3) a one to two-page cover letter that describes in depth:
- How you fit this job description, and
- Why you would like to work at ACAT.
Send your documents as email attachments in Word or PDF by October 20 to:
Dr. Lorraine Eckstein, Research Anthropologist, at: [email protected]
The position is open until filled. If you have not heard from us within a week after you submit your application, please contact Lorraine Eckstein by email.