Organic Gardening Resources
Videos & Presentations
Designing Your Organic Garden with Alivia DeBusk
'What is Yarducopia?' presentation to AARP
Propogating Perennials workshop with Nick Riordan
Lessons Learned from the Alaskan Home Garden: Consequences and Alternatives to Pesticide Use for our Soils, Plants, and Ourselves (Interview with Jeff Lowenfels)
Pesticide-Free Anchorage with Pam Miller
Market Gardening in the Last Frontier (by Bjorn Olson) shares stories & methods from Twitter Creek Farm
Ask a Gardener
- How to choose seeds and plan your garden
- When do I start seeds?
- Building a sheet mulch (lasagna) garden
- Common nutrient deficiencies in lasagna gardens
- Edible flowers from your garden
- What about the Alaskan Pea?
- Dealing with slugs and root maggots
- How gardens & local food make for strong towns
- How do I prepare my garden for winter?
- The Valley Gardening Club has monthly tips you can read on their website.
- Still have questions? Email [email protected] or [email protected] with gardening questions anytime!
- Composting in Rural Alaska by Jodie Anderson
- Don't Delay, Start Composting Today by Heidi Rader (It Grows in Alaska blog)
- Composting 101 by Anchorage Soil and Water Conservation District
List of garden volunteer opportunities in Anchorage maintained by the Anchorage branch of the Alaska Master Gardeners club
Yarducopia's Resource Pages
In the Garden
- Using manure in the garden
- Using cardboard in the garden
- Using plastic in the garden
- Using pesticides in the garden
- PFAS in the garden
- Avoiding Persistent Herbicides in Compost
- Spraying for Spruce Bark Beetle - Pros and Cons
- Talking to Your Neighbors when they're having their trees sprayed with pesticides (coming soon!)
- Do I need to test my soil or compost for toxics? (coming soon!)
- What do I do about sawfly larvae on my currants? (coming soon!)
Gardening Fact Sheets
- Neonicotinoids fact sheet
- Carbaryl fact sheet
- Glyphosate fact sheet (July 2020)
- Glyphosate fact sheet (2015)
- Preventing Weed and Pest Problems
- Natural Pest Control Tips
- Organic Fertilizers vs Chemical Fertilizers
- Tips for Healthy Lawns
- Still have questions? Search Cooperative Extension's list of pubications.