Videos, Presentations, & Zines
Seed Starting with Alivia DeBusk
'What is Yarducopia?' presentation to AARP
Pesticide-Free Anchorage with Pam Miller
Propagating Perennials workshop with Nick Riordan
Designing Your Organic Garden with Rachel Mills and Nick Riordan
Lessons Learned from the Alaskan Home Garden: Consequences and Alternatives to Pesticide Use for our Soils, Plants, and Ourselves (Interview with Jeff Lowenfels)
Market Gardening in the Last Frontier (by Bjorn Olson) shares stories & methods from Twitter Creek Farm
Zines on soil health, biology, and weeds written by George-Ann Sprinkle and Illustrated by John Harding
Pesticides and Pollinators booklet written by Jodie Banks
In the Garden podcast interview with NIck Riordan talking about the benefits of gardening, being a part of a community and the actions we can take as gardens to secure a healthier future.
Yarducopia's Resource Pages
Ask a Gardener
- How to choose seeds and plan your garden
- When do I start seeds?
- Building a sheet mulch (lasagna) garden
- Common nutrient deficiencies in lasagna gardens
- Edible flowers from your garden
- What about the Alaskan Pea?
- Dealing with slugs and root maggots
- How gardens & local food make for strong towns
- How do I prepare my garden for winter?
- The Valley Gardening Club has monthly tips you can read on their website.
- Still have questions? Email [email protected] or [email protected] with gardening questions anytime!
Alaska Specific Resources
Facebook groups/pages where you can get great garden advice:
The Alaska Master Gardeners are another exceptional resource. You can ask them a question via email by contacting [email protected] anytime.
The Cooperative Extension Service list of pubications covers gardening, insects/pests, cooking, and many many more useful topics. Click the link and type in your search or browse their list. They also have a CES state-wide events calendar.
Gardening & Pesticide Fact Sheets
In the Garden
- Avoiding Persistent Herbicides in Compost
- Spraying for Spruce Bark Beetle - Pros and Cons
- Talking to Your Neighbors when they're having their trees sprayed with pesticides (coming soon!)
- Do I need to test my soil or compost for toxics? (coming soon!)
- What do I do about sawfly larvae on my currants? (coming soon!)
- Using manure in the garden
- Using cardboard in the garden
- Using plastic in the garden
- Using pesticides in the garden
- PFAS in the garden